Thank you so much for taking the time today to learn more about New Hope Church. I believe it will strengthen your understanding of this church and I hope it reinforces your belief in the things of God. If you have further questions please feel free to contact me and I will do my best to answer those for you. It is our desire as a church to make sure you know where we stand on Biblical issues and that you know that this church is standing solidly on the Word of God for all that it endeavors to undertake…Pastor Bryce
New Hope Church exists to bring people to Jesus Christ, so they may be transformed in His image, and learn to reflect His glory.
1. THE SCRIPTURES - The Bible is the inspired Word of God, the product of holy men of old who spoke and wrote as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. The New Covenant, as recorded in the New Testament, we accept as our infallible guide in matters pertaining to conduct and doctrine (2 Tim. 3:16; 1 Thess. 2:13; 2 Peter 1:21).
2. THE GODHEAD - Our God is one, but manifested in three Persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, being coequal (Deut. 6:4;Phil. 2:6). God the Father is greater than all; the Sender of the Word (Logos) and the Begetter (John 14:28; John 16:28; John 1:14). The Son is the Word flesh-covered, the One Begotten, and has existed with the Father from the beginning (John 1:1; John 1:18; John 1:14). The Holy Spirit proceeds forth from both the Father and the Son and is eternal (John 14:16; John 15:26).
3. MAN, HIS FALL AND REDEMPTION - Man is a created being, made in the likeness and image of God, but through Adam's transgression and fall, sin came into the world. The Bible says "...all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God," and "...There is none righteous, no, not one." (Rom. 3:10; 3:23). Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was manifested to undo the works of the devil and gave His life and shed His blood to redeem and restore man back to God (Rom. 5:14; 1 John 3:8). Salvation is the gift of God to man, separate from works and the Law, and is made operative by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, producing works acceptable to God (Eph. 2:8-10).
4. ETERNAL LIFE AND THE NEW BIRTH - Man's first step toward salvation is godly sorrow that worketh repentance. The New Birth is necessary to all men, and when experienced, produces eternal life (2 Cor. 7:10; John 3:3-5; 1 John 5:12; Ro. 10:9-10).
5. WATER BAPTISM - Baptism in water is by immersion, is a direct commandment of our Lord, and is for believers only. The ordinance is a symbol of the Christian's identification with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection (Matt. 28:19; Rom. 6:4; Col. 2:12; Acts 8:36-39).
6. BAPTISM IN THE HOLY GHOST - The Baptism in the Holy Ghost and fire is a gift from God as promised by the Lord Jesus Christ to all believers in this dispensation and is received subsequent to the new birth. This experience is accompanied by the initial evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Holy Spirit Himself gives utterance (Matt. 3:11; John 14:16,17; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:38,39; Acts 19:1-7; Acts 2:1-4).
7. SANCTIFICATION - The Bible teaches that without holiness no man can see the Lord. We believe in the Doctrine of Sanctification as a definite, yet progressive work of grace, commencing at the time of regeneration and continuing until the consummation of salvation at Christ's return (Heb. 12:14; 1 Thess. 5:23; 2 Peter 3:18; 2 Cor. 3:18; Phil. 3:12-14; 1 Cor. 1:30).
8. DIVINE HEALING - Healing is for the physical ills of the human body and is wrought by the power of God through the prayer of faith, and by the laying on of hands. It is provided for in the atonement of Christ, and is the privilege of person today (James 5:14,15; Mark 16:18; Isa. 53:4,5; Matt. 8:17; 1 Peter 2:24).
9. RESURRECTION OF THE JUST AND THE RETURN OF OUR LORD - The angels said to Jesus' disciples, "...This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven." His coming is imminent. When He comes, "...The dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air..." (Acts 1:11; 1 Thess. 4:16,17). Following the Tribulation, He shall return to earth as King of kings, and Lord of lords, and together with His saints, who shall be kings and priests, He shall reign a thousand years (Rev. 5:10; 20:6).
10. HELL AND ETERNAL RETRIBUTION - The one who physically dies in his sins without accepting Christ is hopelessly and eternally lost in the lake of fire and, therefore, has no further opportunity of hearing the Gospel or repenting. The lake of fire is literal. The terms "eternal" and "everlasting," used in describing the duration of the punishment of the damned in the lake of fire, carry the same thought and meaning of endless existence as used in denoting the duration of joy and ecstasy of saints in the Presence of God (Heb. 9:27; Rev. 19:20).
“Where two or more are gathered in My Name, there will I be also,” was the promise and premise that started a “gathering” of believers to form a full gospel fellowship that culminated into the Family Fellowship Center in Timber Lake.
In 1991, four families met in homes under the headship of Pastor John Anderson of North Platte, NE. Bible studies were held on Wednesday evenings for adults and youth. Eventually, the meetings were held at the Senior Citizens Center and more families and visitors joined the services.
Many people put wings to the prayer for a full time pastor to live in the Timber Lake community and shepherd the church. Success and answered prayer came when Duane and Diana Covey, who were graduates of Rhema Bible College, responded to the call to pastor.
The church met at the Baptist church for four years, from 1993-1997, and then moved to the former Kesling Funeral Home in Timber Lake. In 2001 land was purchased and a new building was erected to serve the congregation of the Family Fellowship Center. This was quite an endeavor that included many volunteers with expertise and talents both from this community and across the nation. The building was built debt-free and was ready for services in 2003.
From the Family Fellowship Center were born two other ministries: The Lighthouse in Eagle Butte and On Wings As Eagles in Little Eagle.
Over the years, many people have worked in the ministry of the church. Duane and Diana Covey pastored the church from 1991-2007. Within that time, Sharon Furch served for several years in children’s ministry, and Mike and Ann Hecht served as Assistant Pastors from 1999-2004. Diane Carter also assisted with children’s ministry for a time under the Coveys.
After the Coveys left the Family Fellowship Center in 2007, Fredrick and Belinda Hull served the church as pastors from October 2007-January 2008. Upon his leaving, Pastor Brent Cuny and Vicky Hulm ministered and handled church affairs. In August of 2008, The Lighthouse became an independent church, and Pastor Brent Cuny left the Family Fellowship Center to pastor that church. In October of 2008, David and Jan Klein became the new head pastors and departed in September of 2010.
Pastor Joel Ziolkowski from Custer, SD ministered to the people of the Family Fellowship Center, and it was under Pastor Joel that the people of the church voted in a new church name: New Hope Church. In August of 2011 to the present, Pastors Bryce and Colette Schaffer, along with their children Ethan, Callie, and Nate moved to Timber Lake to answer the call in the Timber Lake area.
As the church has grown once again, the need for youth pastors presented itself. Steven and Elizabeth Karbowski answered the call to fill that need and came on staff in August of 2015.